Wednesday, May 10, 2006

WWJD?

No, not Jesus, what would Jim do? Jim, as in Jim Morrison.

I'm talking about Rapture Riders, a remixed, mash-up project by self-proclaimed producer, DJ and remixer, Mark Vidler, from across the pond. I heard this for the first time this morning as I was transporting Joonya to school. My favorite college-like radio station, 91.3 The Summit, was playing it. I apologize if this is old news, but it threw me.

You can hear the song here.

Two reactions. First, I instantly cooed and said, "Yeah, Rapture! I haven't heard this in a long time!" Then I paused and thought, "Hey wait, there's a dance beat. Holy frijoles! That's the Doors! It's Riders on the Storm!"

Meanwhile, Joonya is bopping his head up and down to the beat, rockin' out. As I was singing along to Blondie's breakthrough rap, he says, "Mom, do you know this song?" I laughed and said yes, and explained how it's a remix of two classics, or as he likes to remind us of time and again, old-fashioned songs. He then says that he really likes the song and wants to hear it more. Reaction number two: I was pleased. But why?

I can't imagine what Jim would think. Is he reeling in his Paris grave because they've turned his music into dance club drivel? (Is he even in that grave? lol) Were the remaining members of the Doors consulted?

Sidebar: I have (or had) Ray Manzarek's home phone number. Yes I do (did). And I would call. And hang up. (laugh) My first job out of college was working for a very well known finance conglomerate and I collected on private label credit cards. The store I collected on was well-known on the east and west coasts, mostly in NYC and LA. During slow times, I looked up famous people's credit accounts. I knew exactly how many bras his wife bought, which was a lot, and that he liked a certain designer when shopping for clothes. I was in awe at what he and his wifed charged every month. Royalties are a good thing, my friends. Maybe I should call him and ask him what he thinks.

Chris Stein, co-leader of Blondie, eventually got involved and got the track cleared for a legal, official release. (cha-ching!) In any case, today, I'm conflicted. I liked the song, I think. I'm slave to the beat. Two classics are unionized and resurrected for a new generation to dig. On so many levels this marriage is wrong, but on the flipside, the old becomes new again.

Have I spat on the grave of Jim Morrison?

2 comments:

At 11/5/06 8:37 AM, Blogger Dan said...

What Would Jim Do? He'd pop pills, drink booze, and eat fatty foods until his heart explodes. That's what Jim'd do.

Oh, and he'd whip out his dong on stage, too.

 
At 11/5/06 1:28 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Now I remember why I think I grew up in the wrong generation.

Oh to be those leather pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home