Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ford Super Chief

Ok, obviously I'm going to get all my blogging done for the week in this one hour. (laugh)

This past weekend, we went to the Cleveland Auto Show. We've become frequent guests of the I-X Center in Cleveland. We've been to several RV shows, the boat show and now the auto show. I wasn't all that jazzed about going but I'm glad I did. I had a lot more fun than I thought I would.

My dad is a car guy. He retired from GM after 36 years of employment as an engineer. I grew up in car country. Everyone in my neighborhood worked for GM. It was my way of life. I've never owned a car other than a Chevy. Every year, I take my mom and dad to the Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles. It's this swanky car show that is by invitation only for the exhibitors. It's an outstanding car show. One-of-a-kinds, everywhere. My dad looks forward to it every year. This past year was even more fun because there was a 1967 GTO on display, the very first brand-new car my parents owned as a married couple. It was fun to watch them get misty and reminiscent of times long ago. I guess now, I'm a car person too, because I knew a lot about the cars showcased at the Auto Show.

One thing is for certain, I'm clearly a European sedan person. I love the sleakness and design of a fine crafted European automobile. The BMW 760Li is sex on four wheels. I was moved looking at that car. And sitting in it, well, let's just say I hope I didn't leave a stain. (laugh)



But back to the title of my post. The Ford Super Chief. Something about that truck has stuck with me. Granted, it's a concept truck and I'm sure some serious modifications will take place before it ever hits the market. I was in awe viewing this truck. I can't even say for certain that I liked it all that much. All I can say is that it was sick, man, sick. That truck was sick. You have to see it in person to know what I'm talking about. The Range Rover didn't have that effect on me. Dodge's Mega Cab, albeit impressive roominess, didn't thrill me like the Super Chief. The H2, please! When we entered the show, the Super Chief was right there, luring you in. I thought to myself, "Cripes, someone has penis-envy."

But when I spent some time viewing it, I found myself being impressed. And embarrassed that I was impressed. I mean, this truck is sick! But something about it spoke American. Lavish American simplicity. A contradiction of so many autoemotions. Judge for yourself. Go to a 2006 Auto Show near you. You won't regret it.

Notice the bar. And glass roof. Sick, man, sick.



2 comments:

At 28/2/06 3:34 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Lavish American simplicity.

Brilliant.

 
At 28/2/06 3:41 PM, Blogger Jules said...

My next job will be with Car and Driver. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home