Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Magical movie moment and I was the star - for 30 seconds

Techtard is yelling at me to eat something so I don't end up getting sick. Funny how we blame food and weather for our everyday illnesses such as colds. Put on your coat or you'll catch a cold. See what happens when you don't eat? You end up sick. I suppose there is some merit there, at least in regards to the intake of sustenance. So I took Techtard's advice and warmed myself a cup of soup.

During this lunch stint, I've decided to blog instead of work. Lately, I've been working through my lunches. Not so much today. I'm down. About an hour ago, I read NoDak Mark's blog and discovered that Mark's brother-in-law committed suicide. He was only 22. That's painful. So here I sit mourning for Mark and Liz, their kids, Liz's family and friends, and everyone else who has been affected by the loss. I have nothing to say other than I'm sorry. I can't imagine the pain you must feel. Hang in there.

Gear Switch: This morning I had one of those magical movie moments. Discussing this in light of Mark's news may be characterized as cold, but I know Mark and he'll understand. He knows I'm a heartless wench. *grin* At times I'm mesmerized by cinematography. I like things that make me think. Poignant things. Things that make me see more than what is really there.

Techtard and I were discussing the other day in the car about how we, as teenagers, lived much of our fantasy life in music videos and/or movies. We inserted ourselves into those roles that we found so touching and fascinating. Examples: I wanted to be the girl in the diner in the Ah-Ha video "Take On Me." Or, I wanted to be Diane, the smart and pretty object of Lloyd Dobler's affection in "Say Anything."

This morning, I had one of those moments. Not that it was anything special, but all the pieces were there for great cinematography. I was driving Joonya to school. He was chattering on about how he hurt his finger playing basketball the night before. I was holding his gloved hand as he spoke. Jack Johnson was playing on the radio seguing into David Gray's Babylon. It was snowing those big fat flakes that stick to your windshield. After kissing him goodbye and wishing him a great day, Joonya got out of the car to make his trek into school, then stopped and turned around. He smiled and waved at me. For a split second everything seemed perfect in the world. My life had a soundtrack. I watched the snowflake that landed on Joonya's seat melt because his warmth - his life - had been there. I was awash with contentment. That doesn't happen too often with me and when it does, I've learned to take notice. It felt as though I was watching those 30 seconds of my life on the big screen, the music and special effects enhancing the moment. I hope I don't forget this morning. I'm sure I will, but today, it lives with me. I suppose I can't ask for anything more.

By the way, this soup blows. Bah. Pleck. Normally I'm a fan of the "Cup-a-Soup", but this broccoli cheese flavor is digusting. I'm equating this to a packet of powdered cheese from the Kraft mac-n-cheese box with flakes of freeze-dried broccoli specks. El yucko supremo. Even the Diet Squirt I'm nursing can't mask the wretched flavor in my mouth. Lipton bombed with this flavor.

Well I suppose my time is up and I need to get back to working on a presentation. My head was pretty clouded earlier, I hope that it's managed to shake itself clear of the cobwebs and distractions so that I can work.

9 comments:

At 7/2/06 6:12 PM, Blogger Smokestack Jones said...

Hey Julie,

HAH! Found yer blog! Neener neener neener! You can thank the Dawg for that. :-)

Anyway, just a not to say I like what you're doin' with the place. It's nice to know someone besides me thinks cinematically.

And, too late - I added you to my blog links.

-SJ

 
At 8/2/06 9:25 AM, Blogger Dan said...

I wanna be Lloyd Dobler.

Say Anything is the best. Pure genius.

"I gave her my heart, and she gave me a pen."

 
At 8/2/06 10:05 AM, Blogger Jules said...

Dawg - I was so infatuated with Lloyd Dobler, hell I still am! Smart, funny and attentive, the perfect combination.

*swoon*

I think my favorite scene from Say Anything was when Lloyd was out driving around, talking into his taperecorder, and went to hang out with the guys. "If you guys know so much about women, why are you here at the Gas-n-Sip on a Friday night drinking beers and hanging out?"

Silence.

"By choice, man, by choice."

Indeed.

 
At 8/2/06 10:22 AM, Blogger Jules said...

Smokestack, welcome aboard!

And for the record, I wasn't getting on you about pirating Homestar.

Have you seen how much shit I've pirated on MY blog? lol

 
At 8/2/06 11:10 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The Gas-N-Sip is awesome.

"Dissed in the Malibu!"
"That's your castle, man!"

 
At 8/2/06 11:50 AM, Blogger Jules said...

Dawg - Now I'm intrigued. Are you a fan of Weird Science?

BTW, my secret decoder publishing word was "oleyme". I think that's funny.

 
At 8/2/06 1:40 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Oh, man. I don't think I've seen Weird Science from beginning to end since I saw it in the theater...21 years ago. :(

I definitely enjoyed Bill Paxton in it. And, well, Kelly LeBrock, of course.

 
At 8/2/06 2:14 PM, Blogger Jules said...

I don't know what you do over there at that thar DVD Verdict but I do believe Weird Science should be reviewed by none other than the Dawg himself. If I say Itchihiro Sukogatchi was in it, would that help?

Oleyme!

 
At 13/2/06 1:54 PM, Blogger Dan said...

I do believe Weird Science should be reviewed by none other than the Dawg himself.

None of the Verdict staff has reviewed it, so maybe I'll serve one up when I get a chance...along with a greazy pork sandwich, in a dirty ash tray.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home