Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I'm down on humanity today

No fluff. A bare bones approach to this post. I'm down on humanity today.

As a nation, we have no survival skills. We are creatures of comfort. And in a time when a great number of our countrymen are suffering, I'm finding myself pissed off at how we deal and cope.

Granted, I'm sitting in a comfortable chair, with coffee, good music playing, electricity and toilet paper readily available, so when those affected by Katrina stumble across this post a year from now, they can say, "You stupid bitch, you have no idea what we went through." They are right, I can't fathom what they are dealing with. My heart is heavy today, and I am sad.

And angry. Maybe I'm angry because I feel helpless, so in turn, I'll open my wallet and give because I can afford to do so. However, I think I'd be a better person if I left my home for a few weeks and went down there to help because I need that kind of reality check. Or maybe I'm angry because I see looting on the news.

I stepped back and assessed the situation. Never having lived in a major city, I don't truly comprehend what it's like to not own transportation. So for those individuals who didn't heed the warnings and decided to stay in the city because they couldn't afford transportation out, or for whatever reason, I feel for you. Now you're stuck in a city that is under water and you have nothing. So you go into the local Wal-Mart and take whatever you can. I guess if I was in your situation, I would too, because basic survival skills have kicked in.

But if you're a wearing a shirt that says, "Bad Girls Suck, Good Girls Swallow" and you have your cart full of electronics and other nonessential items, I hope you rot in hell. When you passed by the medications and water for the $39.74 boom box, and you find yourself with nothing to eat and dehydrated, good luck trying to hock that boom box for something that could possibly sustain your life.

I'm done writing now. Like I said, I'm down on humanity today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home